My most cherished comfort food, no matter the weather or season, is a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Imagine my delight when I discovered a recipe that merges the flavors of each into one sandwich.
I intended to make that tasty sandwich and attest to its awesomeness here. Alas, I got lazy. Or more precisely: hungry. I didn't have time to roast tomatoes for 15 minutes, people. I opted for a shortcut version, which was tasty, but I'm sure doesn't compare. I am content, however, that this (↑) was in my belly in under five minutes.
- Slice a tomato. Salt and pepper the slices.
- Spread some fancy stone ground mustard on slices of whole wheat sourdough.
- Slice* enough cheddar to cover the bread. Arrange cheddar slices on the bread. Grind some pepper on the cheese, as well. Trust.
- Place the tomato slices on top of the cheese, and pop the concoction in the toaster oven for a few minutes.
- Voilà! Open-faced grilled cheese + tomato sandwiches for the impatient/famished.
*This post brought to you by the word, slice.