Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Town + City Survey: Boulder

Think Ben would reenact the Kermit + Miss Piggy running toward each other scene with me?

Time to head where the air is thin, the hippies are abundant, and there are hundreds of thousands of miles of trails and four million acres of space for outdoor activity enthusiasts to delight in: Boulder, Colorado.  Ok, so that last bit is a slight exaggeration.  I must say, though, I'm not sure I'm outdoorsy enough to live in Boulder—not sure I meet the prerequisites.  Sure, I'm a runner, but I don't hike, bike, rock climb, swim, play rugby or ultimate frisbee.  I'm pretty sure one needs to participate in at least four of those six sports in order to enter city limits.  Also, I almost disqualified Boulder from the Town + City Survey when I did not find a single fondue restaurant in the city, neither via yelp nor google.  All reservations aside, my patented "brief and superficial" research techniques have led me to learn the following:

  • Taking a Banjo Billy Bus Tour is a must for recent transplants who want to learn about their new hometown.  Posh + quirky.    
  • I'd be a little bit closer (geographically speaking) to seeing a concert at Red Rocks Ampitheater.
  • I'd tell Michael Tilson Thomas to eat his heart out because in Boulder, there is an entire festival dedicated to Mahler.  Behold: Mahlerfest.
  • In fact, there are a number of annual fests.  Two of note: the Screamin' Snowman Snowshoe Race and the Tulip Fairy and Elf Parade. 
  • Imagine running a 10k, and crossing the finish line in Folsom Field (The University of Colorado's football stadium with a capacity of 53,613) in front of 53,613 spectators, like the Olympic runners.  That's what runners of the Bolder Boulder Race do every year. 
  • Did somebody say free tea?  I'm down to take the Celestial Seasonings Tour.
  • A 30-minute drive is a small price to pay to watch a movie at a classic Drive-in Theater.
  • In the land of Coors, there are some stand-out microbrews!  Avery Brewing Company will tap their MINT CHOCOLATE STOUT this Friday, January 13.  Could be gross; could be outstanding.  A risk I'd be willing to take.  I'd also love to frequent their establishment on the first Tuesday each month when they host an ASL Happy Hour.  Discounts are given to those who are deaf, actively signing, or actively learning to sign!  And dear Upslope Brewing Company, you had me at pumpkin.  ;] 

I'm a sucker for tulips!
Rocky Mountain field image source
Tulips at the Pearl Street Mall image source

p.s. I simply cannot think of the Rocky Mountains without remembering my favorite line from Dumb & Dumber.  After heading East for hours, rather than West like they were supposed to, Harry comments on the terrain, "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."  To which Lloyd replies, "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."

image source

    No comments:

    Post a Comment