Hello, friends! Today's Town + City Survey brings us to a city I've never set foot in: Tempe, Arizona. It would take a whole lotta awesome for a town whose average high temperatures are between 92° and 104° for five months out of twelve (seven months being above 85°—I feel a faint coming on!) to lure me. I am not a sun worshiper; I am more what one would call a shade-and-gentle-cool-breeze worshiper. I hope this town provides misters and gelato on every corner. But I digress. Should I ever live in the land of the Sun Devils (their terminology, not mine!), here's how I'd spend my time:
- Watching the Hare and Hound races, desert glows, and fireworks at the annual Arizona Balloon Classic in Chandler, which is about 20 minutes south. I've driven further for a beer. Not that I don't love me a good lager, but balloons? Of the hot air variety? So dreamy.
- "Running" in the The Color Run! (See photo below!) Mixing rainbows of color and a bit of exercise? Sign me up!
- Exploring all that Tempe Town Lake and Beach Park have to offer, including Octoberfest (weiner dog races!) and The Great Cardboard Boat Regatta.
- Taking a nighttime flashlight tour at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. (And getting in the holiday spirit with Las Noches de las Luminarias.)
- Hopping on over to Phoenix for some sunset viewing through the Hole in the Rock.
- Wandering around the Mystery Castle (also in Phoenix) to take some photos.
- Worshiping cupcakes at the Love-in in Scottsdale, and loving every minute of the Cupcake Crawl!
Ever been to Tempe? What's your 2¢?